Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Art Critique

This artwork was Sierra Sewharack's recreation of Self Portrait with Monkeys by Frida Kahlo. The pink/red flower on the top left corner stands out to me the most when I first looked at it. I believe it stands out because it is a bright and warm color, so it advances through space instead of receding.  The leaves lead my eyes from place to place because of the direction of the lines on them. I feel like this artwork represents care (like as if a mother is kindly caring for her children), and the beauty of nature as well (it includes different types of flower). If I could give a name or title to this piece, it would be By Nature. Color was also used in this artwork to form characteristics of the flowers, leaves and humans through using monochromatic and some mixture of colors (?). It seems like the colors signify the uniqueness of each feature because they have different shades even if they are the same color. I think Sierra chose to recreate this specific artwork because it would be fun to draw it in manga style. Overall, I love this recreation especially the colors of the eyes and flowers; I can tell the effort that was put into it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment